The Payroll Manager is a specialized, focused, technically oriented position. Focus is on meeting and exceeding high standards of accuracy and quality based on established systems, technologies, and guidelines. Strength in technical problem solving based on expertise and experience, and a strong commitment to efficiently achieve high quality results is required. A thoughtful, persevering, self-disciplined approach to achieving accurate, detailed work is essential. A key aspect of the job includes the ongoing identification of technical problems and the development of sound, carefully thought-out solutions. Because of the expertise developed in this position, it is necessary to regularly initiate and communicate viewpoints on problems and opportunities in a factual, straightforward manner. This job allows for autonomy and independence and is primarily self-reliant. Because of the fast-paced job environment, decisions must be made quickly and firmly, within the defined scope of job authority and based on job expertise.
In general, this is a valued expert expected to deliver high quality, accurate results, while efficiently maintaining and enhancing existing organizational systems and standards. *The Payroll Manager manages and guarantees weekly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishment, benefits, and taxes to over 400+ employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, job titles, and department/ division transfers.
- Pays employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Understands payroll allocations and job costing.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers’ compensation payments.
- Assists in payroll audits such as Worker’s Compensation.
- Files and maintains states’ quarterly reports for SUI and worker’s compensation.
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Partner with Human Resources and benefits in aligning and implementing a more sophisticated payroll process.
- Provides payroll information to employees by answering questions and requests.
- Minimum 3 years of recent, high volume payroll processing experience. Working specifically in a dedicated payroll position. i.e. Payroll Manager, Payroll Administrator, Payroll Specialist etc.
- Recent experience processing multi-state payroll – processing multiple states for a minimum of one year
- Proficient with MS office, especially strong in MS Excel (pivot tables specifically)
- Solid experience working in Paylocity for payroll processing
- Experience with payroll tax at the federal, state and local levels
- Experience with accounting software i.e. QuickBooks, PeachTree, SagePro, Paylocity, Intaact and Salesforce.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or equivalent certifications and/or on the job training
- Highly organized team player